Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Sierra Leone

The guest speaker at our church was talking about Sierra Leone.  I was immediately transported back about 30 years when Carl and I lived in our first home in California. It was before we had children and we both worked in the international office at Campus Crusade headquarters. The former president of this West African country, pictured in the uniform above, was introduced to us at work one day.

Andrew Juxon Smith had been in office for a year before a coup landed him in prison.  After a considerable amount of time, he was exiled and began seeking political asylum in the U.S. for himself and his family.   He somehow ended up at Campus Crusade for Christ headquarters in San Bernardino. We invited him to have dinner with us.

Andrew was very proper and well educated.  For some reason Carl and I decided to sing for him after dinner. (We used to sing duets, you know. But as I think about it now, I wonder how we decided he needed to hear us...) Anyway, we were singing "My Jesus I Love Thee" complete with back-up music and a rather big ending.  As we were approaching the final notes, I saw our dog, Dolly, tilt her head as if the music was less than pleasant to her doggy ears. As we hit the high E, she let loose with a loud, piercing howl.  Carl and I immediately burst out laughing and our poor embarrassed guest was left with the job of explaining to us the reason for the dog's outburst.  Yeah.  We knew.

But back to the guest speaker. He was challenging our church family to consider taking a trip to Freetown, Sierra Leone, November 1-12,  for the purpose of evangelism.  I was intrigued.  It seems like many short term mission trips are humanitarian in nature these days. The Baptist organization he works for, International Commission (IC), has been doing these type of evangelistic mission trips for almost 40 years.  Their strategy begins by partnering with Christian churches in various host countries.  They then ask church members to start praying earnestly for family members and friends they would like to have hear the gospel. Meanwhile, back in the U.S., IC recruits Americans to go, arming each with a tract containing their personal testimony and the gospel translated into the host countries' language. When the Americans arrive in country, they are sent out with church members who take them to the homes of the people who have been prayed for. The results have been pretty astounding actually. Over a million people said "yes" to following Jesus in the 40 countries visited in 2011.

I remember thinking that it would be a real adventure for some younger person who didn't have as many commitments and responsibilities as I did.  But, for some reason, I gave my contact information to the guest speaker.  And, every time I would get an email or a letter, something stirred in my heart.  The sad thing is that recruiting Americans for such a trip is not a breeze.  Apparently, the American church is not lining up to take the good news to the third world. But surely God was not asking me to go there. Carl, my mother, Janae...they all need me.

One day, after I read yet another recruiting letter, the Lord said to me, "Cyndi, why not you? You have traveled in the third world so you know what to expect. I have given you a job with freedom to arrange your own schedule. You already have a prayer and support team. You have a passport. You know how to share your faith. And, last but not least, you know in your heart that I want you to go. I can take care of things at home. So, will you go?"

You would think I would have said "yes" immediately.  But honestly, I struggled.  Sierra Leone is 180 out of 182 on the Human Development Index.  It is hot and humid that time of year.  Malaria and Yellow Fever are not uncommon. Even though team members would be staying in a hotel, electricity is iffy.   I didn't personally know anyone going.  It is an expensive trip...$3600 for 12 days. But despite this, the Lord seemed to be saying "Go".

After getting Carl's blessing, the first hurdle I faced was finding someone to stay with the family.  My older sister had to decline but 2 days later offered to send her 30 year old daughter from Chicago in her place.  Then $2000 had to be in by September 1st so tickets could be purchased.  I decided to go to the members of our new little church with that request.  I only had $900 three days before the deadline and, after having a very stressful day, I contemplated scrapping the trip.  But when I walked through the living room, I glanced at the mail on the table...where I found a letter containing a commitment for $1100.  Got it, Lord.

My primary purpose in blogging today is really threefold. Will you...

PRAY... The spiritual battles have already ensued. It seems like every person in our family has some large or small crisis they are dealing with. It would be easy to become distracted and/or discouraged. I should know by now that if the Lord is going to such great lengths to get me there, surely the enemy will go to similar lengths to keep me home. God is greater, but so is the need for supporting prayer.

GIVE... I also need an additional $1600 for traveling expenses.  If you feel like you would like to have a part with me in sharing the gospel in the country of Sierra Leone by investing financially,  you can give through our Campus Crusade account.  Just click the "Join Us" tab at the top of this page and then the "Give a Gift" box which will take you to a donation page on the Campus Crusade website.  I can reimburse my travel expenses through this account as necessary.  

GO...Would you pray about going with me?  It's not too late to sign up and I would love to have a friend join the team!!! They prefer to send 2 Americans to each church and there are 30 churches in Freetown who are requesting team members. Only 18 people have signed up to date. You do the math. Nationals ask why there are not more who come. What do you say to that? Americans are just too busy? The economy is on a downturn? Christians don't care??

Jesus observed the crowds compassionately and saw that though their hearts were ripe, there were not enough workers to bring in the harvest .  He pleaded with his disciples to "ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field." I'm wondering...what is He saying to you?  I'll be waiting to hear. Meanwhile, anyone know where I can buy some good bug spray?

















No comments:

Post a Comment