Monday, June 10, 2013

I want to begin with a report on my last blog regarding Carl. Happily, we are now a couple weeks post surgeries and Carl can see, better than ever!  In fact, he said to me just last Sunday morning as he sat on the couch and looked out the window into our back yard, "The colors outside are beautiful...I had forgotten how colorful the world is! I am so thankful that I can see!!" For all who prayed for him,  thank you so much.  


photo by Jamiriquai

Blessed are the pure in heart...for they will see God. (Matt. 5:8)

Recently, I had a discussion with some friends at church about the beatitudes.  In Hebrew, the word "blessed" (from which the word beatitude is derived) means "to be envied with desire". In Greek, it means "happy, approved by God."

So what did Jesus consider enviable? Certainly not what we tend to envy.  (Hint: money, beauty, athletic ability or intelligence are not mentioned.) No, Jesus said, the poor in spirit, those who mourn, the gentle, those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, the merciful, the pure in heart, the peacemaker, the persecuted...these are the truly blessed.

For instance, the pure in heart are promised that they will see God. Our discussion focused on why Jesus coupled that trait with that particular blessing. It occurred to me that Carl and his cataract surgeries illustrate the answer.

An  impure heart is like a cataract. Carl's had been coming on for years, so gradually, in fact, that he wasn't even aware it was happening.  It was just that one day, he couldn't see anything but cloudy images anymore. 

Similarly, when we let sin have its way in our lives, when we live for self and and follow the world's prescription for happiness, our vision of God fades. It may be so gradual that we don't even know it is happening until one day we feel totally disconnected from fellowship with the Father.  We can't see Him at work in our lives, and we certainly don't see Him in the pages of Scripture.

The only option becomes "surgery"of the heart to remove the cataract of sin and self-will.  This is done primarily through humble admission of guilt and agreement with God regarding our sin.

However, this alone does not cure the problem.  If the doctor had only removed Carl's cataracts and stopped there, not putting the new lens in place, Carl would have been worse off than before. In the same way, we need a new lens put in place or our confessions, no matter how sincere, will simply be an ugly reminder of our failures and we will be worse off than before too.

So, how does someone who wants to see God clearly receive a new lens?  The "surgeon" is God's Holy Spirit.  The lens He gives us allows us to accurately see God. First and foremost, the pages of Scripture provide this clear view. But we also see God in our circumstances, in the lives of His people and in the beauty of His creation.

I have been needing some spiritual cataract surgery myself of late.  I can easily slip into the slough of self-pity regarding my circumstances.  My husband has been ill for years with no hope of recovery, all our children have been struggling financially, our youngest has had a really difficult year in school, I have had back pain and headaches. When I wallow in that slough, I can't see God. My vision becomes cloudy.

But, by the kindness of God, He is helping me see life with His lens. In a recent quiet time I wrote:

Today, I have been overwhelmed with sorrow over life situations that seem so far beyond my ability to endure... And then I read these words in Psalm 118, "His faithful love endures forever." When I can't go on, God sets me free. I can defeat the enemies in my life with the authority of The Lord. He gives me victory. "This is the day that The Lord has made...I will rejoice and be glad in it."

So, how has your vision been lately? Are you blessed and seeing God? I am praying for you!









1 comment:

  1. I can relate to the gradual onset of cataracts with my gradual loss of hearing. I did not realize what I had been missing and for how long until I got some aids.

    I think I could use some surgery myself, as well as some lens cleaning.

    There is coming a day when we will see all things and hear all things as we were meant to.

    ReplyDelete